Nancy J.W. Brown
Ms. Brown’s practice focuses on insurance coverage and insurance litigation as to many types of insurance policies and contracts including general liability, professional liability, excess and reinsurance. Her work involves both direct representation and oversight of insurance litigation throughout the country. She also has performed regulatory work on behalf of insurers and their managing general agents.
Ms. Brown has bench, jury trial, and appellate experience representing insurance carriers as well as other businesses and professionals. She has represented insurance brokers, attorneys, accountants, real estate brokers, building contractors, and various retail and wholesale businesses in matters involving professional liability, breach of contract, licensing, intellectual property, antitrust, unfair competition, and other commercial disputes.
She previously owned a specialty practice in which she represented fine artists, musicians, production and management companies, independent record labels, theatre companies, and non-profit arts and music foundations. Although she predominantly has represented insurance clients for the last ten years, she still serves on the board of two non-profit music and theatre foundations.
- State of California, 1990
- State of Nevada, 1991
- United States District Courts, 1990 to 2011
- United States Courts of Appeals, 2012
- University of California, Berkeley – 1987
- Bachelor of Arts
- University of California, Davis School of Law – 1990
- Juris Doctor (J.D.)
- Clerked for the Supreme Court of Nevada, Justice Robert Rose – 1990-91
- San Francisco BART v. General Reinsurance Corp., 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 89403
- Millman v. Contra-Costa County, 79 Cal. Comp. Cases 439; 2014 Cal. Wrk. Comp. LEXIS 32
- Genesis Ins. Co. v. BRE Properties, Inc., 916 F. Supp. 2d 1058 (N.D.Cal. 2013)
Pro Bono Work
- Ami Aloni Music Foundation
- Westchester Parents Nursery School
- California Lawyers for the Arts
- 18th Street Art Center
- Festival Theatre USA, Inc.